10 Jan 2013

Golden Chicken, Braised Greens and Potato Gratin

Meal 1- Jan 6th - Golden Chicken, Braised Greens and Potato Gratin

Is it unlucky that my first meal supposedly contains 666 calories? Probably not so I press on (incidentally, in this book Jamie gives detailed nutritional breakdowns on each meal - probably because previous books have received a backlash due to overuse of cream, olive oil and other delicious things).

I turn the dial on the stove and the heat, literally and figuratively, is on. The onions go into the roasting tray. Unfortunately it is a rather battered, non-non-stick (?) tray so requires regular attention to avoid burnage. Chicken and potatoes get prepped. All goes well until by the time I get to the point in the recipe to add the bacon to the chicken, the chicken is already cooked. I remove the chicken from the pan and fry the bacon alone, adding the chicken for the final 30 seconds or so.

To be honest this was all a good few days ago so details are a little hazy, but got it all out on to a plate and it went pretty well. Onions were slightly overcooked (mainly due to lack of non stick tray, but not to any significant detriment to the dish). Chicken was very tender although slightly plain with only rosemary leaves for flavour. Replaced the spinach with savoy cabbage (sorry Jamie) which worked a treat.

Lolz gave it 8/10. My Difficulty factor 7/10. I have used the greens dish as a side for other non-Jamie meals I have made since.



1 comment:

  1. I just made this one a few days ago and I loved the potatoes. LOVED. But I am a bit of a potato freak.

    I've been cooking my way through this book lately too. Come and check it out if you are interested to compare our experiences!

    http://cookingjamie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews