24 Feb 2013

Tasty Daal Curry, Warm Tomato Salad and Naan

Meal 19 - Feb 23rd - Tasty Daal Curry, Warm Tomato Salad and Naan

I do find it a little strange how some meals in the 15 Minute Meals book have incredibly positive adjectives attached to their names. "Incredibly Delicious Chicken Salad" or "Gorgeous Greek Chicken" for instance. That this particular dish is described merely as "tasty" makes me think it may turn out to be a bit meh.

Anyway, Lolz has been struck down by the same man-flu bug that I was afflicted by last weekend (although apparently when transferred to females it becomes just "flu") and she was requesting something spicy to clear her sinuses. Curry was an obvious choice and despite being vegetarian, we thought this would be a good option for a cold February evening. The first task, obviously, was to do the shopping and, as is becoming a frustratingly regular occurrence it wasn't without it's difficulties. I was unable to find mixed colour cherry tomatoes and had to make do with the standard red cherry variety (although one did have a slight orange tinge). Curry leaves also eluded me and I concluded that you would need to find an Indian supermarket to find such an item. I also begrudged buying rapeseed oil when I already have an array of oils in my cupboard so decided to make do.

The cooking would have been straightforward if my food processor hadn't refused to work. Lolz helpfully suggested I check it was plugged in, and although that wasn't the problem, I did manage to patch it up.  I also discovered that mustard seeds are fairly excitable little things. Upon hitting the hot pan they promptly jumped straight back out, popping like popcorn. Some did remain in the pan (probably because at that point I decided to put a lid on) thankfully and I managed to crack on with the tomatoes.

The dish was nice but lacked a bit oomph. Lolz described it as being a bit like an Innocent Veg Pot and I think she hit the nail on the head - nice but not really a meal in itself. Personally I would have loved to have added some prawns or something into the equation. The tomatoes were bizarre – does the recipe really tell you to chop the whole lemon or have I misread something? Unsurprisingly, the outcome is really bitter. If you cook this dish, only use the juice and zest!

Lolz gave the dish 8/10. Difficulty rating 3/10.




1 comment:

  1. I actually did a blog on my hunt for curry leaves....as you suggest, I found mine at a little Indian shop in a dried format. I still have yet to find them fresh. But they do make a world of difference to the flavour!

    http://cookingjamie.blogspot.ca/2009/12/hunting-for-curry-leaves.html

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews