16 Feb 2013

Cajun Steak, Smoky Baked Beans and Collard Greens

Meal 16 - Feb 16th - Cajun Steak, Smoky Baked Beans and Collard Greens

I may be hungover today but that doesn't mean I can ease the pace in my 15 minute meal challenge. My readership now extends to nine countries (hello Ukraine!) and I don't want to let my fans down.

My delicate state of wellbeing today partly dictated my meal choice - anything salad based, vegetarian or containing mushrooms was immediately ruled out - today I needed good, solid meat and stodge to suck up all the excess booze in my system - it would have to be comfort food at it's finest. Steak was therefore an obvious choice, especially when accompanied by some beans which looked like they would blow your head off!

Steak is always a good option for the weekend as it means we can buy better quality stuff for less from the butchers (Dickenson's closes at 5pm weekdays - not ideal for a post-work shop). So I set off up North End Road and bought 2 steaks for a bargain £5.98 (compare that to Waitrose where one "essential" sirloin steak is around £5), whilst a stop off at a charity shop en-route also yielded a delightfully retro platter to add to our collection of tableware.

Once again, the cooking of the dish is very straightforward. Dare I say I might have actually been close to 15 minutes on this one? The real success of the dish however is in the eating - it is an absolute triumph! The steak and greens were always going to be good, but the beans were a surprise. Looking at the picture in the book I was a little dubious (I won't attempt to describe what they look like... ahem, vomit, ahem...), but the end product was great. Turbocharged baked beans if you will. And what's more, the ingredients are things you would typically have in your cupboard.

Lolz gave the dish 10/10 - her second maximum of the task so far! Clearly in a generous mood,  she also made some cupcakes! Difficulty rating 2/10.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews