4 Feb 2013

Spiced Chicken, Bacon, Asparagus and Spinach Lentils

Meal 13 - 3rd Feb 2013 - Spiced Chicken, Bacon, Asparagus and Spinach Lentils

With friends coming over to enjoy the third 15 minute meal of the weekend, the pressure was on to deliver and I had barely finished my spinach smoothie when Lolz ushered me back into the kitchen and back to work. I chose this dish not because of some bizarre spinach infatuation (although we will have got through nearly half a kilo over the course of the weekend) but because it looked like a good, hearty, warming Sunday lunch.

I was quite excited as, although I had been unable to find tinned Puy lentils in any local supermarket and ended up using something called "Bijoux Verts" lentils (which actually turned out to be Puy lentils after all), we had purchased four incredibly plump, juicy looking chicken breasts from our new friends at the butchers. After flattening them out and deliberating somewhat, I decided there was no way all four would fit in our frying pan. Because they were so big, I decided to make do with three breasts and cook the first two and let them rest and then cook the third one, adding the asparagus and pancetta towards the end. It all went pleasingly according to plan and I ended up with a HUGE pot of creamy lentils and spinach (although I'm not sure blitzing the spinach in the processor really adds anything - I think adding whole leaves may have even given it a bit more texture), three suitably golden chicken breasts accompanied by crispy pancetta and some nicely charred asparagus.

The dish was enjoyed by all and the crusty bread was a welcome addition. If Greg Wallace had been dining with us he may have complained that the lentils lacked seasoning or maybe a squeeze of lemon juice or that the chicken would have benefitted from slightly more than a meagre half teaspoon of cayenne pepper (especially for a dish called "Spiced chicken"). Thankfully the only food critic in attendance was Lolz who gave the dish 9/10. She also cooked a lemon souflee which was much more delicious than the picture below suggests...

Difficulty rating 3/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews