22 Dec 2013

Arnold Bennett Fritata, Foccacia and Emmental Waldorf Salad

Meal 112 - December 22nd - Arnold Bennett Frittata, Foccacia and Emmental Waldorf Salad

With the granola proving to be such a shambles, and having plans for the afternoon, I had no option but to return almost immediately to the kitchen to cook what is effectively the second course of our brunch. With neither of us having eaten much granola though, this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I have no idea who Arnold Bennett is or what he has to do with frittatas but this looked like a much more straightforward meal to cook. It didn't go quite according to plan though...


I had just turned on the stove and cracked the eggs when I heard Lolz shouting to me from the bathroom. She'd forgotten that the handle was broken and that it was impossible to open it from the inside. Having not actually started the cooking (if I had, she would have had to wait until I'd finished - I couldn't risk overcooking my omelette) and knowing that if I did not rescue her, there would be no one to do the washing up, I turned off the stove and went to see how I could help. After unscrewing the handle from the outside and poking around a bit with a pair of plyers, I eventually managed to free her and resumed cooking (new door handle added to our Christmas list). We were now a bit pushed for time though and in my haste I managed to slice a bit off the top of my thumb whilst chopping apples. It was quite the drama to what is really a rather run of the mill 15 minute meal.

The hardest thing about the cooking is removing the skin from the fish after it has been cooked - having watched numerous people explain and perform such a technique on masterchef and other cooking shows, I would normally do this before cooking it but I followed Jamie's instructions and attempted to do so after extracting it from the pan. The problem with this is a) that it is too hot to touch and b) it kind of falls apart anyway. I got it done ok eventually though so the omelette went under the grill and I started making the salad, where my finger mishap occurred.

It's a good solid 15 minute meal - something that I would happily do again. You can't really go wrong with the frittata and the salad - a rather pleasing mixture of sweet, savoury, tangy and peppery flavours is one of the better ones I've made so far.

Lolz gave the dish 8/10. Difficulty rating 3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews