3 Nov 2013

Seared Asian Tuna, Coconut Rice & Jiggy Jiggy Greens

Meal 93 - November 3rd - Seared Asian Tuna, Coconut Rice & Jiggy Jiggy Greens

I've been feeling a bit like the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest lately - seriously lacking in the points department. It's not quite been "nul points", and I don't know if it's because Lolz has been getting annoyed with all the washing up or if the meals just genuinely haven't been that good as earlier in the year or if I'm just off my game, but the scores really have been weak. I've not had a 9 since September. I've not had a 10 since the summer (which to be fair sounds like longer ago than it actually was). Anyway I'm due a good score and these Asian themed meals have mostly been good so perhaps today is the day I'll get my mojo back.

I had two worries with this meal. My first was whether I would be able to get a suitable piece of tuna - rather than buying individual steaks, which are easy to find in a supermarket, you need to find a suitably sized and shaped chunk of tuna which will allow you to just sear it on the outside, leaving it raw in the middle. I couldn't be bothered to walk up to the fishmongers so I gambled on finding something in Waitrose, and I was in luck. There was a nice slab of tuna at the fish counter which was just the right size. Secondly, I was worried that, judging by the picture this may not be that good - it looks very arty, almost pretentious and I wasn't sure that could really translate into a good dinner. Still, I have learned not to judge a dinner by it's picture so I started cooking.

You start with the rice and, having done Jamie's coconut version before, I decided to give it a rinse beforehand so that hopefully it wouldn't be so sticky/starchy when it is dished up. The tuna went into the pan (and quickly got taken out again) and the veg got sliced and into another pan. The most interesting thing is the dressing on which the tuna sits. It consists of the ginger and it's pickle juice, grapefruit juice, chilli and spring onion. I didn't really know what to expect.

I'm pleased to report it was delicious - everything just works. It is my best attempt at coconut rice yet. The tuna is melt in your mouth delicious. The dressing is refreshing and zingy. The sliced up greens, nicely coated in teriyaki sauce, are good even though it felt a bit wrong chucking them in the processor. So I liked it... did Lolz like it? Yes! She gave it 10/10. Difficulty rating 3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews