17 Nov 2013

Beef Stroganoff, Fluffy Rice, Red Onion and Parsley Pickle

Meal 98 - November 17th - Beef Stroganoff, Fluffy Rice, Red Onion and Parsley Pickle

After all my Saturday exertions, Sunday was a predictably quiet day. I was hoping (and felt that I fully deserved) to spend the entire day in my pyjamas, but sadly Lolz foiled this plan by insisting that I go out and do the shopping. On my list was a couple of lovely sirloin steaks - normally a surefire way to ensure a good mark from Lolz (the crazy Korean fried rice and steak meal was the first 15 minute meal with sirloin steak that scored less than a 9).

Sadly though, and I don't know if this is some kind of sinister plot by the 15 minute meal gods, or if I have just subconsciously been avoiding them up to now, many of the remaining meals feature mushrooms rather heavily and this was no different. I selected an unappetizing assortment of chestnut and oyster and wondered how few I could put in the meal without taking away the essence of a beef stroganoff.

Speaking of the essence of a stroganoff though, you feel it's not exactly faithful to the Russian origins of the dish, and that corners have been cut in order to squeeze it into 15 minutes. Everything is cooked so quickly that you don't get the caramelisation of the onions or the meat which would form the basis of the sauce. As a result the sauce (never mind the fact that it is made with yoghurt rather than sour cream) lacks a bit of flavour.

It wasn't all bad - the steak was, of course, lovely, and I quite liked the pickle (which added the tanginess that you expect from a stroganoff) but overall it was a bit of a disappointment. And the kitchen was an absolute state.

Lolz gave the dish 7/10. Difficulty rating 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews