13 Oct 2013

Squash Soup, Sagey Chestnut Dumplings

Meal 85 - October 13th - Squash Soup, Sagey Chestnut Dumplings

It's been a while since I last did a soup/ sarnie 15 minute meal, and, lo and behold, my spreadsheet told me it was time to rectify that particular problem. It turns out I've done all the sandwiches, so, with the weather conveniently cold, grey and miserable I turned to the soups. We got some squash in our veg box, so decided to have a go at this one.


Trouble was, the squash we received in our veg box was a gem squash (well two of them in fact - they're quite small), and, unlike it's butternut cousin, the skin is too tough to eat, so I had to painstakingly peel it, and there is no option to just "use the neck end" so I had to scoop out the seeds as well. By the time I started cooking I think the clock was already ticking over 15 minutes, and difficulties did not end there. With the squash prepared the soup went into the pan without any problems so that I could start on the dumplings...

I'm not very good with dough. I don't really have much experience in making it from scratch and I obviously added the water too quickly as the mixture was a wet, sloppy mess. I enlisted Lolz's help and together, by adding more flour, we eventually got to a dough like consistency. I got the dumplings boiling and eventually, after possibly the longest "15 minutes" of my life, lunch was ready.

I'll start with the positives - the soup was actually quite nice. Lolz took the leftovers into work for lunch the next day. Unfortunately though, we felt the dumplings just weren't worth the effort. I don't think they turned out quite right but they took so long and made such a mess, that even if they were little nuggets of deliciousness, they may still not have been worth the effort.

Lolz gave the dish 6/10. Difficulty rating 7/10.
 

"Please sir, may I have some more?"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews