23 Aug 2013

Sizzling Chicken Fajitas, Grilled Peppers, Salsa, Rice and Beans

Meal 70 - August 23rd - Sizzling Chicken Fajitas, Grilled Peppers, Salsa, Rice and Beans

It's Friday again, bank holiday weekend again and another opportunity to tick a few more 15 minute meals off my list. For some reason I haven't done any chicken meals for over two months so I decided to fix that anomaly by attempting these sizzling fajitas. Fajitas are something which I used to cook on a semi regular basis, particularly as a quick, risk free option to cook for friends, but to be honest I always used pre-made fajita spice mix - I've never really considered the DIY option. According to Jamie, that DIY option consists merely of a heaped teaspoon of sweet smoked paprika. Have I been wasting my money on this pre-made stuff all this time, or is this Jamie equivalent overly simplified in order to save time, money and calories?


Anyway, it looks like it should be pretty easy to cook - the kind of meal you could cook just by looking at the picture. The chicken is prepared in the usual way - add the seasoning and then bash it in and flatten it with a rolling pin. The veg is simply griddled, the salsa just blitzed in the liquidizer and the rice warmed through in a pan with the beans. Incidentally, I took the controversial decision to use the pre cooked rice, as instructed in the recipe, for the first time - I was interested to see how that would turn out.

It does indeed get prepared rather easily - Lolz even complimented me on the presentation - but I wonder who exactly Jamie has in mind when he says this serves four? Four small children maybe? The cast of Britain's Next Top Model? I could probably eat the whole lot if I'd been for a long run. Even Lolz went back for seconds. If we'd had two other people eating, everyone would have gone home very hungry. Still, at least this does say something about how tasty it was. The chicken didn't lack flavour, and the salsa was quite powerful and a nice twist on the typical tomato salsa. The rice was the only let down - we won't be getting the pre-cooked suff again.

Lolz gave the meal 8/10. Difficulty 3/10.


1 comment:

  1. I do think that for some of these meals, they are better suited to a light lunch for 4 than a dinner for 4. I am sure that' because of the limitations they were under to get the calories under a certain mark. I've done a few that in no way would serve 4 normal adults at the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews