17 Aug 2013

Crab Bolognese and Crunch Fennel Salad

Meal 68 - August 17th - Crab Bolognese and Crunch Fennel Salad

This weekend marks the return of Premier League  and I'm writing this post just as THFC kick off their opening match against Crystal Palace. I'm a little nervous - Palace are newly promoted and are most people's favourites for relegation but Tottenham have a knack of cocking things up. Anyway, speaking of cocking things up, I decided to attempt another crab dish, just a couple of weeks after my last one, which, I'm sure you'll remember was a disaster.


This time I made the decision to purchase the crab meat from Waitrose. It may have cost over £11 for 300g but it looked clean and nicely packaged and, crucially, didn't smell like a sailor's bin bag. We already had most of the other ingredients (including fennel and fennel seeds - Lolz was going to love this one) so instead decided to fill our shopping bags with three tubs of ice cream - that should keep us going a couple of weeks.

The Bolognese is a rather typical 15 minute meal sauce - a huge jar of passata with a variety of chopped veg and spices. I actually reduced the amount of passata by about 25% - previous dishes have been far too saucy - and it seemed to have a much better consistency. I'd also bought a new blade for the food processor recently, which made slicing the salad much easier. All in all the execution of the dish was  pleasingly straightforward.

The taste was rather good as well. The salad was nothing special but the Bolognese was faultless - the flavours and consistencies worked really well. (1-0 SPURS... COME ON!!!) Sadly there are no more crab dishes, but at least I have gone out on a high (although come to think of it, it may be a good thing for my bank balance).

Lolz gave the dish 8/10 - apparently an extra mark because it was better than expected. Difficulty rating 2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews