20 Jul 2013

Smoked Salmon, Potato and Asparagus Salad

Meal 59 - July 20th - Smoked Salmon, Potato and Asparagus Salad

Jamie seems to be quite big on fish. A few years ago I remember he did a TV show called "Jamie's Fish Supper", where basically he was bigging up a variety of underused fish, like coley, pouting and dab. Here in 15 minute meals, not only is the fish section by far the biggest in the book, but it features some 17 different species. I've been ticking off the dishes as I go but it just feels like this fish section is never ending.

I decided to knock another one off that list with this summery looking smoked salmon dish. I thought it would be one of the easier ones in the book, while Lolz thinks it is one of the most expensive - proclaiming on her return from Waitrose that it was the most expensive bag of shopping she has ever bought. I decided not to point out that her statement was clearly untrue (I have been shopping with her before), but admit this one would definitely not get into Jamie's new budget meals book - the smoked salmon alone cost over £10.

It is indeed very simple though - only the potatoes and asparagus need cooking - other than that it is mostly making the salmon look pretty on a platter and figuring out how to speed peel an asparagus into ribbons.

Once I've plated up I decide it's basically a fancy picnic dish, which isn't a bad thing - but I don't really feel it's much of an accomplishment. The only thing I've really "created" is the dressing for the salad - which is in fact really nice. The rest is simply transferring from shopping bag to plate.

Lolz gave the dish 9/10. Difficulty rating 1/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews