28 Jul 2013

Avo and Egg on Toast

Meal 62 - July 28th - Avo and Egg on Toast

As a bit of a perfectionist I was quite disappointed by last night's Crab Brik debacle. I needed to rediscover my form and fast. Rather fortunately, on yesterday's shopping trip, we had also bought ingredients for breakfast - thus presenting a perfect opportunity to erase the memory of Crab-Brik-Gate and have a delicious breakfast in one fell swoop. Unfortunately, though, poached eggs is not exactly my forte. I'd tried various techniques before, from the Delia method (shallow water, simmer for one minute, then rest for 10 minutes) to "Poachets" (another Lakeland invention) and never quite got it right. Jamie's own instructions are scarily vague but he does advise swirling the water as you crack in the egg. This proves extremely difficult for someone like myself who has not yet mastered the one handed crack technique.

Anyway, I was determined to get this right, one way or another. The toast and the eggs went in at the same time, with the timer for the eggs set at 3 minutes. I chopped the avocado. and chilli. The toast came out and was smeared with the tomato. Avocado was delicately fanned out on the toast. So far so good, but ultimately this would rest on the eggs - they didn't quite resemble to perfect ovally shapes in the book, but the yolk? Praise be, it was delightfully oozy - success!

Lolz gave the meal 9/10. Difficulty rating 4/10.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I have yet to master the poaching technique....

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews