27 Jun 2013

Beef Chimichurri, New Potatoes and Crunch Salad

Meal 55 - June 27th - Beef Chimichurri, New Potatoes and Crunch Salad

With Lolz off on what she insists will not be a drunken weekend tomorrow, this will be my last 15 minute meal of the month, and therefore my last one before we hit the second half of the year. With 55 down and still 64 to go I'm a little behind schedule but nothing a few indulgent, 15 minute meal heavy weekends won't solve. In the six months I've been going so far, I've cooked 7 chicken dishes, 8 beef, 4 pork, 3 lamb, 9 fish, 6 pasta, 3 soups and sarnies, 5 veggie and 9 breakfasts. There have been hits (Asian Sea Bass) and misses (Prawn Linguine). I've experienced cooking with new ingredients, learned new cooking techniques and discovered whole new places to shop. Who knows what surprises the second half of the year will have in store?

The meal I decided to cook today (well Lolz decided actually - I took the risky decision to allow her to choose the meal and do the shopping) seemed a bit unimaginative - steak, salad and potatoes. It was as if Jamie forgot to do the shopping so was forced to come up with something based on what he had in his cupboard. I've learned nothing if not to keep an open mind though so cracked on with preparing my ingredients. This turned out to be the most laborious task of all - Lolz had already spent some time podding the peas, while I had to clean the potatoes - which appeared to have been freshly dug up and packed in our veg box - and the lettuce which had several unwelcome little creatures clinging on for a ride. The joys of organic cookery.

The cooking is very straightforward but the meal as a whole is a lesson in taking some fairly basic ingredients and making them more exciting with some little tweaks - pimping your dinner, if you will. The lemon and dill on the potatoes is fantastic, and the parmesan on the salad, but best of all is the chimichurri sauce - hot and tangy and the perfect accompaniment to a nice juicy steak.

Lolz gave the dish 9/10. Difficulty rating 2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews