22 Apr 2013

Poached Fish, Coddled Eggs and Tomato Loaf

Meal 37 - April 21st - Poached Fish, Coddled Eggs and Tomato Loaf

If you glance to the right you may notice that I've joined this revolutionary communications / socialmedia tool called "Twitter". For those unfamiliar with such technological wizardry it's basically Facebook with the status bar and nothing else. I'll be posting various food related nonsense that you couldn't care less about, so why not follow me?! And you needn't worry you'll be the only one - I already have two followers, although I suspect they may be spam. Anyway I've already Tweeted the picture so you probably already know what I'm going to write about.


We were looking for a Sunday brunch type dish and seems to be just what we needed - smoked cod, coddled eggs, tomato bread and of course some greens thrown in for good measure. It looked like it might be fairly tricky as there were four elements to the dish, but I cracked (pun fully intended) on nonetheless.

Once the eggs were in the oven I knew I'd have to be quick so that they did not get overcooked. Some rather gung ho cooking ensued and some rather enthusiastic swearing at my food processor as it refused to effectively blend the sundried tomato mixture. I eventually gave up and  decided to rub it in to the bread as best I could. The greens went on and the fish got poaching. From this point there is nothing to do until the fish is cooked so I gratefully made use of the time to bring a little order to the kitchen.

The best thing about the dish is tomato bread which looks and tastes fantastic. I'm also a big fan of coddled eggs and although I can't really claim they were cooked to prefection (the whites were a bit too runny in the middle, while the yolks were ever so slightly overdone) they were certainly very tasty. As a breakfast those two things alone would probably be sufficient but the fish and greens pad it out a bit into a proper meal. The only real problem was that the greens were a bit wet... the spinach releases a lot of liquid in cooking which, combined with the milky sauce, makes it all a bit sloppy.

Lolz gave the dish 9/10. Difficulty rating 4/10. Must go - time to find out who the Broadchurch killer is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews