7 Apr 2013

Crispy Polenta Chicken Caesar Salad

Meal 32 - April 5th - Crispy Polenta Chicken Caesar Salad

I blame Lolz for the fact that this post is 48 hours late. Having told me I would be getting the run of the house on Saturday as she was having a girlie day out with her friends which included going to see the "hit" Spice Girls musical Viva Forever, she went and introduced me to a new iPad game. I won't tell you what this game actually is as work place productivity around the world will be in serious peril once word gets out. Suffice to say it was (and is) extremely addictive and aside for a brief break watching Match of the Day, and a very brief break for dinner, I did very little else. Today we have been out for a birthday brunch with friends which included "freeflowing" prosecco (or, "drink as much as you can" as we decided to interpret it). So apologies if this is in any way incomprehensible.

Anyway. What am I writing about again? Oh yes, meal 32. Chicken caesar salad. Lolz was still not feeling quite right after her bout of illness, so she wanted something healthy so I chose this partly because it fulfilled that particular criteria, but also because, on my last trip to Waitrose, I spotted that most elusive of salad items, chicory, and I was keen to try it out.

I know a big part of the 15 minute meals book is that it is trying to be healthy but at times in making this meal, I did feel that Jamie Oliver was hitting me over the head with a healthy stick. Not only does the salad contain approximately one garden's worth of lettuce, but the dressing contains that 15 minute meal favourite, natural yoghurt, as opposed to the more common mayonnaise. To make up for relative lack of flavour in the less fatty yoghurt, in goes a host of additional ingredients, including the juice of two lemons and half a bunch of basil.

Unsurprisingly, it is a simple meal to cook. Once you have cooked the chicken and toasted the bread, and made the dressing, it's just a case of piling it up on a serving board. To be fair, the sauce wasn't bad. It was definitely too lemony though. Would it really have killed the healthy principle to replace the yogurt with some low fat mayonnaise? The chicken was good. The charred chicory was a great addition but the romaine, especially with the lemony, acidic dressing, was very bitter. Overall not a bad dish, but a few tweaks are definitely in order for next time...

Lolz gave the dish 9/10. Difficulty rating 2/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews