12 Apr 2013

Killer Kedgeree, Beans, Greens and Chilli Yoghurt

Meal 33 - April 11th - Killer Kedgeree, Beans, Greens and Chilli Yoghurt

With THFC due to kick off their crucial Europa League second leg quarter final fixture against Basel at 20:05 I decided to set myself a one-off 15 minute meal bonus challenge today. I would attempt to run home from work and have dinner on the table in time for kick off. Basically I had two hours and five minutes to get changed, run 7.5 miles, shop, shower, prep and cook. I knew it would be tough - I remembered meal 22 when I only plated up in time to watch the second half of a game that night. Ever confident of my talents, Lolz literally laughed in my face when I told her of my plan.


As it turns out, the plan was almost scuppered before it started -  a routine meeting at work overran drastically to the point where I almost was not able to leave at 6. I was on the verge of feigning illness when the last two points on the agenda were rushed through and I quickly made my exit, quickly turning off my computer before I could be distracted by any unread emails... By the time I had donned my running gear it was about quarter past and I set off at a rather ferocious clip - finishing my first mile in an improbable 7:07. It was a pace I couldn't maintain but, despite the crowds out enjoying the first signs of the British spring, I made it to Waitrose in a respectable 55 minutes. I'd bought most of the ingredients at lunch time so all that was left was the smoked haddock which required a frustrating wait in line at the fish counter. I got home at around 7:25 - 40 minutes to shower, prep and cook.

Lolz had helpfully already cleared away all the washing up but it had already gone ten-to by the time I started to cook. In my haste I misread the opening paragraph of the recipe and got a few pans mixed up - I would now have to cook the whole meal in under 15 minutes if I was to be sat down in time for kick off - with my track record, the odds were not looking good. It wasn't the easiest dish to cook either - there were three pans going on, one with those frisky mustard seeds, and one with the fish and eggs which you need to be careful not to overcook.

The surprising news is that the game was just kicking off as we sat down to eat. The less surprising news is, well, we Sky +'ed it. I ended up, somehow, around 18 minutes late. To be honest the dish is a little bizarre I thought. I've made kedgeree before and it's normally quite a simple recipe - ground coriander, turmeric and curry powder are the classic flavourings. This version however contains fresh ginger, chilli, coriander and spring onion - kind of a Thai curry paste and I would have to say it's not really an improvement.

Lolz liked it though and gave it a "surprising" 9/10. Difficulty rating 6/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews